Monday, May 12, 2008

On "Gollum's Song"

From Robert Vladimir Odeneza:


Hi blogfellows! Sorry to have been away for quite a while, but now I’m back with another song interpretation, and this time, “Gollum’s Song” sung by Emiliana Torrini, written by Fran Walsh, and music composed by Howard Shore. You can hear this on the credits part of your “Lord of the Rings the Two Towers” DVD. Here’s a copy for you:

Where once was light
Now darkness falls
Where once was love
Love is no more
Don't say goodbye
Don't say I didn't try

These tears we cry
Are falling rain
For all the lies you told us
The hurt, the blame!
And we will weep to be so alone
We are lost
We can never go home

So in the end
I'll be what I will be
No loyal friend
Was ever there for me

Now we say goodbye
We say you didn't try

These tears you cry
Have come too late
Take back the lies
The hurt, the blame!

And you will weep
When you face the end alone
You are lost
You can never go home
You are lost
You can never go home

The song has no word too deep to comprehend. The language is even colloquial. What makes it difficult to process though is its confusing point of view or narrative; it makes use of the pronouns I (first person singular), We (first person plural) and You (second person.) Now, just whom is this persona talking to? Or, do we just have one speaker here?

Perhaps a little review of who Gollum is would help. Those of us who have (at least) watched the LOTR trilogy would know that Gollum is the meaner side of Sméagol. They live together in one body, and what’s amazing is that they talk to each other secretly as if unaware that they are just one. They normally get to do this when Sam and Frodo are asleep.

I believe that the inconsistent point of view in this poem (or song) is rightfully reflective of Gollum and Sméagol’s dual personality. It is also an expression of the misery that Sméagol has gotten himself into after possessing that “precious” ring; thus, Gollum says “Where once was light, Now darkness falls. Where once was love, Love is no more.” And Gollum seemingly blames Sméagol to be solely responsible for their wretchedness – “These tears we cry Are falling rain For all the lies you told us…”

The last part of Gollum’s song would suggest that he is already bereft of hope for Sméagol to get his old life back – “These tears you cry Have come too late…You are lost, you can never go home.”

The entire song, to me, is an expression of Gollum’s disappointment of Sméagol or (actually) of himself, but since he never wants to admit that, he used “You” instead of “I” or “We” in the lines, “The lies you told us...” and “You are lost, you can never go home” among others.

I would humbly accept any corrections or suggestions from Tolkien readers regarding this interpretation. Thank you for reading!

7 comments:

Vincent Pido said...

hey there. i would have interpreted the song the same way you did, which is to say i agree with what you said.

i'm not a fan of the lotr trilogy, but i appreciate it now and again. the song fits gollum perfectly.

H said...

Impressive diagnosis, Vladimir, dear!
Smeagol/Gollum has Split Personality Disorder. Or Multiple Personality Disorder. Whatever. The songwriter simply made it sound literary. Welcome back, Robert, dear!

Rebecca said...

Hi there. Found y'all while Interneting away my Good Friday.
I'm really an LOTR freak. While i applaud your interpretation, I think it's possible to dig even deeper--that is to say, there may be a double-meaning hidden for really hard-core fans to find.
"So in the end I'll be what I will be.
No loyal friend was ever there for me.
Now we say goodbye.
Now we say you didn't try.
These tears you cry have come too late..."

Tolkien explained in one of his letters that Gollum/Smeagol was on the point of repentence when he returned from "sneaking" on the stairs to find his companions sleeping. Sam, being the ridiculous person he is, woke up and didn't realize this. He insensitively massacred Smeagol's repentence, which lead to the events in Shelob's Lair.
When Gollum attacked Frodo on the slopes of Mt. Doom, Sam did in fact reach the point of mercy. However, it was too late for Smeagol to turn back; Gollum had won.
Therefore, the lines of the second verse could be Gollum speaking to Sam.
"No loyal friend was ever there for me."
Sound familiar? Everyone except Smeagol has a loyal gardener in their life. Gollum may be throwing everything Sam did in his face. The truth is, Sam payed so much attention to Frodo's gradual loss of sanity that he didn't realize what was going on with Smeagol. Sam really didn't understand his master as well as he thought, and everyone concerned paid for it.
I could go on forever, but I'll stop so as not to confuse anyone (including myself). ;)

Unknown said...

I would flip it around and say that it's smeagol talking to gollum. Mostly because it says, "take back the lies, the hurt, the blame." And I remember smeagol saying that gollum blames him for killing deagol (one of his relatives) for the Ring. I also think this way because smeagol banishes gollum from his mind. Which reminds me of it saying, "and you will weep when you face the end alone, you are lost you can never go home."

Crel said...

When I listen to the song it makes me think of so much total loss in someone's life. That is taking the song at face value, and not in the context of the movie. I feel the way the song describes my inside sadness every day. Please pray for me.

Unknown said...

I might be wrong, just my interpretation, but I always thought the song was about Smeagol/Gollum "talking" to Frodo.

"Where once was light
Now darkness falls
Where once was love
Love is no more
Don't say goodbye
Don't say I didn't try"
>> Here, I think, he is talking about the short moment where Smeagol was free, het got rid of Gollum and had a "friendship" with Frodo and even, maybe, the slightest not-hatred towards Sam.

"For all the lies you told us
The hurt, the blame!
And we will weep to be so alone
We are lost
We can never go home"
>> Frodo who lied to him (he thinks), when he is at The Forbidden Pool. The fact that Frodo betrayed him and he is, once again, alone. So in his words, he can never go home; meaning, he can never get back to a normal life, with friends.

"No loyal friend
Was ever there for me

Now we say goodbye
We say you didn't try"
>> Again the fact that Frodo betrayed him and he, in fact, did try to get rid of Gollum and be Smeagol once again. He says "we", because he aknowledges the fact that he will be forever one with Gollum.
The end is pretty straight forward from here. The remorce Frodo might have in Shelob's lair came too late. Frodo will face the end alone, dying, without anyone there for him.

As this song is played during the credits of Two Towers and at the end of the movie, Smeagol/Gollum are already planning on killing them, we can link this last part of the song to that event.

In the end, this is just how I saw it, a song about Smeagol/Gollum and his last hope for friendship that was taken from him. I might be missing the point, I might not; that is the great thing about these, so much different perspectives.

Skvæt said...

Noget doubt the song acts as a link between Two Towers, which ends with Smeagol plotting with Gollum and Return of the King, which starts with Gollums "origin story", which includes the murder, he is driven out of town (thus he can never go home) and not least the line "we wept to be so alone" ...